Forums

Full Version: hoard lists for this Friday.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I will be playing this Friday with my brother again. I would like to try my hoard. I have a few lists with a couple questions.

I really want this army to get another 10 point profile... It would make list building so much easier!

1. Saturation and Sand-pit Hoard

Lycal x2
Mireling
Black Wolf
Chitinous Hound
Degenerate
Starving Degenerate
Beast Master

This one goes for blocking with the Mireling and Degenerates so I can move up safely with the Beast Master (BM), and flank to overwhelm with the rest of my models. He will only support the flankers, and go for Tamer every turn, as it is GOLDEN. The blockers will hold and strike as much as possible to create a wall-shaped sand pit, the Mireling on the inside closest to the BM to get the most out of Poison- the second I have taken out one or two models the goal is to continue to wrap up whatever is close.

I NEED to draw out one model or two to focus, overwhelm, and take out. If I can pull this off once or twice I will feel pretty good about the direction of the game. If not I go for tar-pit and move out with a couple models to go for objectives. The Degenerates are tough enough to soak up a couple turns.. If the opponent spreads out for objectives my job is done.

The larger question I have is this... do I use the beast master or proxy in the Flesh master... What is better, the tamer ability, or the SP neutralizer... Testing will tell. I will buy him as soon as he comes in to the LGS, in any case.

Not to many savagery counters, but I don't think it will matter. I just need to be careful about how I use the ones I do every turn. Spend them on Tamer, or on CBT boosts when I need to focus on cutting out a foe.

Black Wolf goes for objectives and uses Loner to stay flexible.

This changes based on mission or objective, obviously.

2. Savagery and management

Lycal x2
Mireling
Black Wolf
Chitinous Hound
Beast Master
Savage Master

I do not like using a 30 point model, its too many eggs in one basket, but Lem convinced me he was worth a shot. I own all of these models. For the above list I would still need to buy the degenerates.

OR,

3. A twist on the above.

Lycal x3
Mireling
Black Wolf
Degenerate
Beast Master
Flesh Master

After testing I will see about 1 Lycal and a Chitinous Hound, It would drop the numbers down a bit, but the Lycals are not much after the errata, and the C Hound is now so much better for 5 points of increase.

In general I think its still a toss-up between the Dominants Beast Master and Flesh Master. Maybe both will work but it cuts the numbers...

Do any of you out there have any experience using one, or two dominants? What are your thoughts? Do you really NEED two?

Thanks!
Need is such a strong word, but yeah, I kinda feel that two dominants make the rest of the models shine. Simplified, one could argue that Hord non-dominants can be divided into two - those who can easily function even without frenzy tokens (like Black Wolf) and those who are semi-reliant on them to bring out their best. I feel that your first list features quite a few of the latter. A timely use of frenzy tokens on a Degenerate or a Starving Degenerate really makes them shine but without the tokens they aren't all that.

Second list is IMO better as an all-comers list in that it includes a clear solution to high PR models in the form of the Savage Master. I feel that 30 points is a pretty basic cost for a high-end model and won't mess up your numbers too badly in the Hord. Third list is a nice variation, but I sorta feel that maybe using the Starving Degenerate instead might be a good idea since then he could act as the problem-solving beatstick when fighting the same enemy as the Flesh Master.

So the theory would be that Flesh Master gets stuck in first since he enjoys getting beat up a bit and then gives Frenzy tokens to the Starving Degenerate as well as the CBT bonus for fighting against the same model. In action there naturally are pitfalls (like keeping Flesh Master alive), but still I feel it might be worth a shot. Of course then you could also consider putting in the Degenerate, too, but then it would be a pretty different list altogether.
Thank you!

I was thinking Degenerate for the VIG 5 (stronger tar-pit), otherwise I like the Starving better in every respect...
(11-28-2012 03:23 AM)owen matthew Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you!

I was thinking Degenerate for the VIG 5 (stronger tar-pit), otherwise I like the Starving better in every respect...
Aye, VIG 5 is a very powerful thing but I would be more concerned with killing power than staying power with that list.

Do note, however, that I've faced the ISC quite a bit more than the other factions, so my views tend to be colored a bit by that always looking for solutions to high Pr foes.
The ISC is the only group I get to face, so I understand that frustration!
Reference URL's