Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions/Comments about Dante's profile contest
03-27-2014, 02:03 AM
Questions/Comments about Dante's profile contest
Here you can comment on the creations and/or ask any questions about the contest.
Be careful about writing new abilities, if you have any questions concerning a specific wording, feel free to ask. At any rate, we'll ask the people if we have any doubt about the meaning of a particular phrase/ability/etc.

[Image: subnorm_wide.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2014, 02:32 AM
RE: Questions/Comments about Dante's profile contest
Interesting submission Lem' Smile
I'll still point out two 'issues' :
a) don't forget that slaves can be found outside the Matriarchy
b) the Fifth Circle ability is weird in my opinion, as your only interest is to target low points Slaves, so you can score more VP. If you make it so that you score VP according to your target value, then there is a real 'bargain' and your opponent is more likely to ponder on his actions. Would you like to lose your Berserk and win 20 VP ? Is your opponent ready to give you these VP, or let the Berserk live one more round ? See what I mean Wink

[Image: subnorm_wide.jpg]
03-29-2014, 04:00 AM
(03-29-2014 02:32 AM)Berf Wrote:  Interesting submission Lem' Smile
I'll still point out two 'issues' :
a) don't forget that slaves can be found outside the Matriarchy
I understood the story that Dante was liberating Matriarchy slaves. But sure, that is a very possible change to make.

Quote:b) the Fifth Circle ability is weird in my opinion, as your only interest is to target low points Slaves, so you can score more VP. If you make it so that you score VP according to your target value, then there is a real 'bargain' and your opponent is more likely to ponder on his actions. Would you like to lose your Berserk and win 20 VP ? Is your opponent ready to give you these VP, or let the Berserk live one more round ? See what I mean Wink
In my first draft the ability worked like that but I changed it in order to give it (IMHO) more tactical depth. Now Dante's player should try to create a situation where a cheap model is in a position that makes your opponent want to kill it, which is IMO more interesting. Preferably the situation should be such that VPs are at stake so the cheaper the fighter you've managed to use in completing an objective, the better. And the thinking was that it is easy to use expensive models in mission critical situation but this would make it beneficial to use a cheaper model thus creating a win-win situation for Dante's player.

Tying it straight to the value of the model would make the choice pretty simple for Dante's player - just get your most expensive model, ram it at the enemy and then punish the opponent for killing it. It would still pose a serious dilemma to the opponent, but I feel that it would be too powerful then.

Not saying that this is the objective truth, mind. It is entirely possible that tying it to the value (as opposed to the inverse of the value, essentially) would lead to something that is easier to take into account and that would therefore be simpler to plan around, which is often actually a good thing. Eden already has a lot going on tactically and there is an upper limit to how many variables you can introduce before they start to diminish the tactical value of the fight, but I believe in my version Wink Big Grin

Resistance is non-futile.
03-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Nice one, JMS! I really like your choice of abilities - Reinforcements is a very nice fit for him!

I'm just slightly wondering about whether your version might be a bit too low in points. He can bring 20 points worth of Slaves (though at a rather heavy SP cost) and that VIG 5 is huge. Though SPD 4 does mitigate the abilities a bit and his head and arms aren't very tough. The nigh-indestructible torso is certainly interesting but not over-powered unless you come up with a way to do two damage there by yourself.

But yeah, a very interesting design.

I checked the French side this morning a bit and there seems to be quite a few submissions coming for the contest - will be tough to judge for sure!

Resistance is non-futile.
03-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Lemm - thanks for the feedback. I haven't had a look at the French site yet, but there's bound to be some good stuff there. I often forget to check it.

As to the cost, he's cheap, but it is relatively difficult to get mileage out of him unless your missions are a perfect fit, given that he won't be fighting anyone if he uses Reinforcements and, without "The Show Must Go On" he loses one crucial turn to leverage them. Mercenary combined with a whopping 4 SP cost to do it also.

My concern with the design would be if one were to pair him with Piotr - in that instance, he could be incredibly dangerous, albeit, it would use a huge amount of SP and some comps just punish swarms.

Uping him to 30 would significantly reduce his power and make him a lot less attractive - I've tried to cost him such that he would be efficient and iconic. At 25, he would definitely see some play in a variety of comps; but in this game there's a wide variation between what you can get for 20-25 points. Consider Oleg vs Bogdana!