Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
modular gaming table
12-18-2012, 01:00 PM
modular gaming table
Hi there,
here is my versin of a modular gaming table.
Each tile has a size of 20*20cm and four holes in the bottom side. I use wood plugs to stop them from sliding to the side. You can rotate every tile in the way you want.
This "tile holding frame" is 60cm wide and 60cm long. But You can build any other size in 20 cm steps. I drilled holes in the frame in an appropriate distance to fit the holes in bottom side of the tiles. The nine big round holes in the frame are for future use. I am going to illuminate some tiles and this will be the place for the cables. In photo 17 use see a lock on the ground. The black corner squares of the lock a small holes for the lights.

The key thing on this is to work very, very accurate to avoid gaps. A gap is just ugly but if on one side is a gap on the other side is an excess and tiles wouldn't fit in there. All tiles and the frames must be in a perfect right angle.
The wood plugs a one mm smaller than the holes in the tiles and in the frame to give the tiles some space to adjust.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2012, 06:55 PM
RE: modular gaming table
Holy crap! That is incredibly awesome! Seriously, I've always dreamed of a modular table like that, but your execution is flawless. The precision and neatness needed for the perfect alignment - my hat's off to you, sir!

I also really love how the thickness of the tiles makes it possible to do stuff like the underground bunker entrance. Soooo brilliant!

One thing that I've noticed while building gaming boards is that a varied painting scheme and varied static grass colours make for a very cool effect. So put some grey amongst the brown, vary the shades and you can even put some green or purple glazes in some parts. And mixing burnt dark brown and dead yellow and frozen white static grass in with the green makes for an interesting look as well.

Do I also note that you have painted the base rims black? Wink

Resistance is non-futile.
12-19-2012, 05:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 05:37 AM by rebuzz.)
RE: modular gaming table
Thanks Lemmi, it`s not that difficult. Here in Germanys the do-it-yourself stores saw wood boards in the size you want for free.

Thats the reason why i make them thicker. The hight of one tile is about 2,5cm. In the future I am going to shape the sides of some tiles to add an extra level. Primarily it was an option for bigger tables. A 60cm sqaure tables with differnt levels, hmmm...
Illumination will come next. Even though only for the lock tile in photo #17.
I have also prepared some Hirts Art pipes for smoke. Carbon dioxide snow will not leave leave any remains other than smoke generators from toy trains or fog machines. So nobody has to worry to ruin his miniatures on this table.
Some slow turning parts as a wind wheel or a ventilator are also in my mind.
But first the basics and then the bonuses. Wink

Yes, black base rims are much better. See my other thread, i put some new photos in there. Smile