Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Carmin Ronin and smokescreen
05-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Carmin Ronin and smokescreen
Hi all,

Another smokescreen question from our gaming over the weekend:

Carmin Ronin charges Elenia and doesn't manage to kill her. The Ronin then blasts out the smokescreen (to prevent Yuri and Vlad turning the temperature up!)

Now, does Elenia still have LoS to the Ronin in B2B contact (as the smokescreen starts from the Ronin's base edge) and can she hit the Ronin in melee (melee doesn't mention an LoS requirement - only shooting seems to need it)?

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2013, 04:40 PM
RE: Carmin Ronin and smokescreen
We have played it so, that a model that is already in BtB with the Ronin can fight him even in the smoke and essentially due to the same train of thought (not needing LoS for melee). But I'm not official in any way, so hopefully Berf will chime in as well.

Resistance is non-futile.
05-18-2013, 02:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 02:59 AM by Vargas.)
Thumbs Up RE: Carmin Ronin and smokescreen
(05-17-2013 04:40 PM)Lemminkäinen Wrote:  We have played it so, that a model that is already in BtB with the Ronin can fight him even in the smoke and essentially due to the same train of thought (not needing LoS for melee). But I'm not official in any way, so hopefully Berf will chime in as well.

That is the way my group played it too. We were all in agreement other than the ISC player who threw a tantrum.

Oh hi Kogan :-D
05-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Hord players are generally seen as hostile and unkempt individuals.... Oh, wrong thread.

Hi Vargas!
05-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Wielding the hammer of the ISC, I unleash a Mighty Thread BUMP!

Re-reading the card - specifically the last sentence "Furthermore, no opposing fighter can engage with allied troops standing fully within the area" I think clarification needs to be made to state whether the Ronin is within the area of effect of the smokescreen (since it says the edge of the base, you could argue anything within the base is not covered by the smokescreen i.e. we have a doughnut shaped cloud of smoke!!)

The problem as it stands is that the Ronin can be struck in melee if its engaged when it releases the smoke, BUT he can also be charged, since charging doesn't need LoS and if you are touching his base (which you need to, to do the melee strike) you can by-pass the smokescreen. Is this how it was intended?
05-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Oh my, interesting. Now that you point it out, I agree that it is open to different interpretations.

Resistance is non-futile.
05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
I know, both interpretations are roughly equal, both rules wise and fluff wise (Doughnut shape - The smoke launches from the Ronin, spreading out or Circle - the Ronin launches the smoke, which then shrouds the area in fog)

It is simply a case of finding out which interpretation is the one Taban intended, as I've talked myself into happily using either!